Island of the Lost

 

Hello My Fans,

Here we are already a week into August, and here in Florida a large number of kids head back to school on Monday. Where has summer gone? It was still a busy week for my alter ego and I was lucky enough to work alongside both of our boys. (This week’s picture) our Youngest and I were handling audiovisual while our eldest son was a server for the banquet raising funds for a great cause, our Homeless Veterans. This was the fourth year doing this event and it went off smoothly like always.

Ok on to the audiobook review for Island of the Lost authored by Joan Druett and Narrated David Colacci. Joan has authored many books both fiction and non-fiction over the years and this one is one of her tops. Island of the Lost is a true story drawing on the accounts on multiple logs and journals from the actual castaways from a pair of shipwrecks. Stanger then fiction these wrecks took place during the same time frame at opposite ends on one of the Auckland islands. For the most part this tale is written from a first person perspective, drawing on the written records by Captain Thomas Musgrave and Captain George “Jorge” Dalgarno, along with other written accounts from the other survivors. Because of the type of story the narration by David is very straight forward and not filled with character voicings etc. This tale also has lots of good historical information about survival back in the mid eighteen hundreds. As much as we romanticize it, this tale also draws a great picture of just how hard, life was at sea during this era. 

As a fan of the TV show survivor which is (to an extent) an experiment in social and survival issues this tale is truly the real thing. First neither group knows the other is there! Yet they are only twenty miles apart. Musgrave and his group is smaller than Dalgarno’s crew and both react completely differently for each other with completely different outcomes. I don’t want to give away the stories so I will not mention names but one group works well together and the other not so much. One group builds what I would call a functioning community or co-operation and the other is more individualized. It is these two different ideologies that really drive the results of who lives easier and who doesn’t live at all. Not that either was easy by any means. The Auckland’s are a cold un-hospitable place near the bottom of the southern ocean a short jaunt from New Zealand. Just Imagin being marooned there for an extended period of time!

All in all this is a great adventure of survival and a historical lesson, but I will warn some readers / listeners some parts you may find offensive by today’s standards. Now with this said you need to remember this was a different time and it was survive or die. Meaning they had to do what they had to do. I give it a five stars! 

Well gang this is it for this week and I doubt I will have a review ready for next week but because I know what I have coming up on a side adventure this week I will have a tale to entertain ye with! 

 

Until then,

Wally T.

 

#wallytyoung #selfpublished #Audiobooks #bookreviews #Newbookrelease #Kindle #audible #booksigning #Indieauthor #alternatehistroy #Newsletter  #timetravel #blackflag #Timescastaway #blackbeard #starratings #Shipwrecked #lsot

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immortal Sword

The Rattler & Anniversary

The Immortal Sword Second Screening