Summer Is Here
Greetings and Welcome to Summer,
Hope everyone is doing great as we officially kick off the summer season. Before I get to the Audio Book Review, I will give a little update on what has been happening around here. First nothing new on the Agent search, but I also have not approached anyone else since sending the full request to the gentleman I met at the writers workshop. I really enjoyed our brief conversation and when he was on a discussion panel he very much impressed me. I just had that feeling we might be a good match. I do know for success both Agent and Author need to link on a personal level.
I continue to write and work on the Pirate story I plan to self-publish when it is ready. I figure it will be of a Novella size but you never know where the muse will take me. Also I have a short story in a contest that I am waiting to see how I do. On the personal front our big Oak lost a large branch in a passing thunder boomer so I have cleanup to do.
Alright onto the review of “Pirates of Aletharia” a 16+ hour audio book!!!
Let me say I choose my audio books in a couple ways. I read a little of the short description and if I have interest I click the preview sample. For me the narrator has a ton to do with if I continue. Example I have had many a book really draw my interest but the narration was either way over the top with dramatics or just plain dry. So when I selected this book I was on my phone so mobile version meaning small type and I had not noticed that this was about lesbian pirates. Not that it mattered to me as a good story is a good story. Just not something I would seek out. All that aside the short obviously drew my attention so I clicked the sample. Let me say Lindsey Dorcus was an excellent choice. I say this because part of the reason I kept listening was her interpretation. Being a story about pirates I was expecting more action but it turned out to be more of a social story about Emilla dealing with her mistakes and situation, along with her emotions. This is not to say there wasn’t action here and there but it wasn’t a pirate adventure in the normal style. I almost stopped a couple times because as I said I was seeking more action combined with this being longer than my normal listening, but Lindsey kept me pulled in. Her character voicing I felt was spot on and kept me engaged.
I will not give any spoilers but personally my favorite character was Judith, she is the cook and best friend of the Pirate Captain Maria. The story did flow smoothly and reached a climactic ending but it did leave off where you need to move into the next book in the three book series. Warning for those that it matters; the book does have foul language and there are a few sexually explicit scenes, but really only one that is overly descriptive of a lesbian love affair. All in all I enjoyed the story of a fantasy land with pirates and magic that Britney Jacksonhas laid out for us to enjoy. If you like a more social based story and have no issues with Sex, Foul language, some blood and guts as it is a pirate story, I recommend it. I will likely someday move to the second book as I want to see how things turn out. But for now I need a little more action.
Everyone have a great week and enjoy those BBQ’s,
Wally T.
Visit https://wallytyoung.com/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NTGQKG6/?bestFormat=true&k=pirates%20of%20aletheria%20by%20britney%20jackson&ref_=nb_sb_ss_w_scx-ent-pd-bk-d_de_k1_1_13&crid=CN8WK384QRYG&sprefix=pirates%20of%20al
#wallytyoung #Timetravel #selfpublished #Audiobooks #Pirates #Fantasy #bookreviews
Comments
Post a Comment